Freedom & Liberty
- Every generation has had its own ugly reaction to refugees, whether the Irish, Vietnamese, Cubans or Haitians, and those fears have been broadly unfounded. In fact there was only one time in American history when the fear of refugees wiping everyone out did actually come true — and we’ll all be sitting around a table celebrating it on Thursday.
- I'm going to be above the president.
- Violent extremism is not unique to any one faith, so no one should ever be profiled or targeted simply because of their faith.
- The waves of the Aegean are not just washing up dead refugees, dead children, but (also) the very civilization of Europe.
- I'd have to say the enemy soldier that threw the grenade that wounded me, but he's not around right now to talk to.
- I don’t think we need to yell, but the other side of it is that I do think we need to listen. People yell when they don’t feel heard, so we need to listen.
- On this day, I have a message for the leaders of this country, this region and the world — you are failing the Syrian people, especially Syria's children. This is a heartbreaking tragedy — the world's worst refugee crisis in decades.
- I fought for 20 years for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I want some happiness.
- If you see something like that, just do what you can. I would rather die trying to stop something like that than walk away and let everybody else get killed. I couldn't live with that. I'd rather die.
- Having the skill and ambition to build something cool should lead to applause, not arrest. The future belongs to people like Ahmed.
- We're still bothered over the killing of Mike Brown because we still need police reform, criminal justice system reform.
- [He] was just smart, just smart. Brilliant.