Relationships & Marriage
- Unlike some of the biggest NFL stars, [Hope] Solo - who is their counterpart in women’s soccer and someone touted as a role model - quietly goes about her business of keeping soccer balls from going into the net.
- Catholicism played a large role in democratizing this country, and now Catholicism and religion can play a huge role in putting the values system right.
- [Dotty Lynch] not only built upon her own intellect, she spotted it in diapers, brought it in, and nurtured it. And, in a way, that's her legacy. There is something that's very special about a person's passion when it becomes that person's professional endeavor - her passion was politics... She absolutely saw everything with such clarity. It made us fantastic political reporters.
- Scott Walker has given women the back of his hand. I know that is stark. I know that is direct. But that is reality. What Republican tea party extremists like Scott Walker are doing is they are grabbing us by the hair and pulling us back. It is not going to happen on our watch.
- The anti-feminist egalitarians believe that, whatever feminism’s positive past gains, its dominant modern version is hostile to men and demeaning to women. They are right. I don’t like the “anti-feminism” label because of its common meaning of “anti-woman” or “anti-equality.” But, call it reformed feminism or egalitarianism, we need a movement for true equality — against both old-fashioned sexism and new gender polarization.
- I think there’s a sexual awakening going on among Iranian youth that transcends class, transcends religious barriers [and] religious differences at the moment. I’ve seen it really trickle down. So I think society is slowly changing, but the biggest fear for people is getting in trouble with the regime - getting in trouble with the law.
- This was a moment for Goodell to show that domestic violence will not be tolerated on his watch. This was a moment for the man who speaks of honoring the “Shield,” as if his league were West Point or Annapolis, to make players understand the part of their contract that carries a moral turpitude clause — that being a good citizen is more important than being a great football player. This was not a moment for a $45-million-a-year sports attorney, with no mental-health training in his background, to play domestic-abuse counselor and therapist in his Manhattan office.
- You can't have it all, all at once. Who — man or woman — has it all, all at once? Over my lifespan, I think I have had it all. But in different periods of time things were rough. And if you have a caring life partner, you help the other person when that person needs it.
- I love the HRC. The initials are great.
- Congress needs to send a strong signal that direct communication with the leader of the free world is a privilege, particularly for a regime that has been as hostile as Iran has been towards America for more than three decades. President Rouhani needs to take these two simple steps to demonstrate good faith before any further discussions.
- This is the way it has to be. The Senate has changed.
- Cardinal Dolan, of course, has a very, very hard job: trying to hold up Catholic family values in sexually liberal New York City. I’m not saying New York is the Gay Mecca. But it’s at least Gay-rusalem.