- If we truly believe we can end all abortion, then we must also address the fact that many of those children will end up orphans.
- And in a year that saw the internet invalidating the issues of women of color, excluding them from important conversations about feminism, and - frankly - excluding them from feminism period (remember @Karynthia’s #SolidarityIsForWhiteWomen and Michelle Cottle’s FLOTUS is a Feminist Nightmare), Beyonce came through with the power of Jesus Christ himself and did quite the opposite on a public stage.
- What are the nuns doing that they can't answer the phone? This is Pope Francis, I wanted to offer you greetings for the end of the year. Maybe I'll try to call again later. May God bless you.
- [President Obama] made so many promises. We thought that he was going to be -- I shouldn't say this at Christmastime -- but the next messiah.
- I grew up with the Red Letter Bible, the Bible that highlighted the words of Jesus. And I've thought about that a lot, too. This is the Jesus who said, "Love your enemies," "Do good to those who hate you," "Bless those who curse you," "Pray for those who treat you badly." He
also said, "Everyone who makes themselves important will be made humbled, but everyone who makes themselves humble will be made important." He said, "Whoever wants to be your leader, must be your servant." And Jesus said, "It's the sick people who need a doctor, not those who are healthy, for I did not come to invite good people, but to invite sinners." You know, those words used to be easier to live by before I came to congress, where fighting for leadership and soundbites and making the evening news is common practice around
- When I stepped off the plane here in Washington, DC, I remember reflecting on the great words of Jesus: 'turn the other cheek, forgive seventy-times-seven' - and I thought, 'that'll get me through the first week.
- To be honest, I expected there to be controversy [over "Noah"], I think all Biblical adaptations carry the weight of that, because it is something that is so personal to people.
- On the first day, God created the navy blue blazer with brass buttons and khakis. And I looked and saw that it was not good. On the second day, He made the ill-fitting all-black suit. And I looked and saw that it was kinda bland. On the third day he created the boxy grey suit -- and things were starting to get bleak. On the fourth day, I cried. The hunt for my bar mitzvah suit was failing miserably.
- [Pope Francis] is a humble man. He lives the faith out in his own personal life. ... He's here to be a shepherd; he isn't here to be a scold. I think that's a good thing for the church and for the world, frankly.
- Depicting the pope as a sort of Superman, a star, is offensive to me…the pope is a man who laughs, cries, sleeps calmly, and has friends like everyone else. A normal person.
- If I had to take my family to court and convict them of being followers of Christ, I am not sure where I would find the evidence.
- There is no safe place in Gaza right now. Bombs can land at any time, anywhere. A small metal shack with no electricity or running water on a jetty in the blazing seaside sun does not seem like the kind of place frequented by Hamas militants - the Israel Defense Forces’ intended targets. Children, maybe four feet tall, dressed in summer clothes, running from an explosion, don’t fit the description of Hamas fighters, either.