- The Mormons even baptized Anne Frank. It took Ernest Michel, then chairman of the American Gathering of Jewish Holocaust Survivors, three years to get Mormons to agree to stop proxy-baptizing Holocaust victims.
- Evangelicalism at its best seeks a biblically grounded expression of Christianity that is intellectually engaged, humble and forward-looking. In contrast, fundamentalism is literalistic, overconfident and reactionary.
- The real struggle of the future will be about who is capable of fulfilling the desires of a devout public. It’s going to be about who is Islamist and who is more Islamist, rather than about the secularists and the Islamists.
- Political dictatorship and social hopelessness create the desperation that fuels religious extremism.
- Ascribing the evil acts of a few individuals to an entire community is wrong; it is ineffective, and it risks making our country less secure.
- Let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God’s work must truly be our own.
- The culture war is a battle between traditionalists and secularists of all faiths. It’s not a battle between different religious groups but within them.
- The culture war is a battle between traditionalists and secularists of all faiths. It's not a battle between different religious groups but within them.
- Let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.
- While America's military strength is important, let me add here that I've always maintained that the struggle now going on for the world will never be decided by bombs or rockets, by armies or military might. The real crisis we face today is a spiritual one; at root, it is a test of moral will and faith.